twenty seventeen documentation

Twenty Seventeen theme is a new theme by WordPress.org and wordpress.com.  It is the chain theme which comes after 2016 (twenty sixteen) , 2014 (twenty fourteen) ,2013 (twenty thirteen),2012 (twenty twelve). Twenty seventeen theme comes with the latest update of wordpress 4.7.  Here  I have shared some  css code to stylize your twenty seventeen theme.

For wordpress.org users  you have to  install   Simple Custom Css  plugins to use my provided css.

You can use my shared code and ask question in the comments section.

Question 1: If you want to change / reduce height of  header image in twenty seventeen theme

.has-header-image .custom-header-media img, .has-header-video .custom-header-media video, .has-header-video .custom-header-media iframe, .has-header-image:not(.twentyseventeen-front-page):not(.home) .custom-header-media img {
height: 66% !important;
object-fit: fill !important;
max-height: 100% !important;
display: block !important;
position: relative !important;

#wp-custom-header {
height: 100% !important;

.admin-bar.twentyseventeen-front-page.has-header-image .custom-header-media, .admin-bar.twentyseventeen-front-page.has-header-video .custom-header-media, .admin-bar.home.blog.has-header-image .custom-header-media, .admin-bar.home.blog.has-header-video .custom-header-media {
height: calc(71vh – 32px) !important;

Question 2 : If you want to change site title font color, size and family of twenty seventeen theme, use the following css code

.site-title, .site-title a {
color: red !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

*** To remove page title from twenty seventeen theme and remove gap

.page #content {
padding-top: 13px !important;

.page .entry-header {

Question 3: If you want to change site description’s font color, font size and font family

body.has-header-image .site-description, body.has-header-video .site-description {
color: #fff;
opacity: 0.8;
font-family: cursive !important;

Question 4: How to change the ‘Proudly Powered By WordPress’ text in the footer

at first go to  Appearance > Editor > footer.php     and replace the mentioned text with the following

twenty seventeen proudly powered by wordpress modification

<div class="site-info">
<a href="https://wordpress.org/">Your site footer links and contents</a>
</div>

twenty seventeen gap reduction

Question 5: How to reduce gap just above the content section

#content {
padding-top: 35px;

Question 6 : How to increase Twenty seventeen content section width

***  at first increase the wrapper width ***

.wrap {
max-width: 1145px;
padding-left: 3em;
padding-right: 3em;

*** 2nd — increase  left side content section width ***

#primary {

*** 3rd — decrease  right sidebar width ***

.has-sidebar #secondary {

twenty seventeen content and sidebar width increase

Question 7 : How to remove sidebar from single post page in twenty seventeen theme and make post page full width

.single-post #secondary {

.single-post #primary {

twenty seventeen sidebar remove full width post

Question 8 : How to remove featured image from single post page in twenty seventeen theme

.single-featured-image-header {

Question 9: How to remove Post date and post author in twenty seventeen theme?

Question 10 : How to change font family, font size and font color in single post page  title of  Twenty seventeen theme

.single-post .entry-title, .page .entry-title {
font-size: 1.625rem !important;
color: darkred !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

Question 11: How to change font family, font size and color of  Post date and  Post author

.entry-meta * {
color: darkred !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

twenty seventeen category page modification

Question 12: How to change home page or archive page (category page)  single post title and archive page title’s  font color, font size and font family in twenty seventeen theme

.entry-title, .entry-title a {
color: darkred !important;

Question 13: To change category name  at the top of archive or category page at twenty seventeen theme

.archive .page-header h1.page-title {
color: darkred !important;

Question 14:  How to hide or remove the category name at the top of category or archive page in twenty seventeen theme

.archive .page-header h1.page-title {
display:none !important;

Question 15: How to remove Featured image from single post page in twenty seventeen theme

.single-post .single-featured-image-header {

Question 16: How to change content section font color, font size and font family in twenty seventeen theme

.entry-content {
color: black !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

Question 17: How to remove comments section in twenty seventeen theme

#comments {

Twenty Seventeen footer section background

Question 18: If you want to change background color of footer widget /  Prooudly Powered by WordPress section

#colophon {
background: darkred;

#colophon * {
list-style: none !important;
border: none !important;
box-shadow: none !important;

Question 19 : How to change sidebar widget title’s font color, font size and font family in twenty seventeen theme

.widget-title {
color: darkred !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

twenty seventeen widget title background and centralize title

Question 20 : How to center the widget title,  provide background color  and remove space below the widget title

.widget-title {
background: lightgrey;
padding: 5% !important;
margin-bottom: 0px !important;

Question 21:  How to  change links color, font size and font family  showing in widget  section in twenty seventeen theme

.widget li a {
color: darkblue !important;
font-family: cursive !important;

Question 22: How to change hover link underline and hover font color for links showing in widget section

.widget li a:hover {
box-shadow: none !important;
color: darkred !important;

button background color twenty seventeen

Question 23: How to change submit or other button background color in twenty seventeen theme

button, input[type=”button”], input[type=”submit”] {
background-color: darkred !important;

Want me to help you personally for CSS Issue?CLICK HERE….

177 Responses to Twenty Seventeen Theme: Modifications of header, footer, sidebar, contents and documentations

1. Guillaume says:

Hello,

Thanks for this post! Really helpful.

I do want to change the website title and description font family and size but …. applying your code in the beginning of style.css doesn’t work.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks!

• HI Guillaume
      try to use Simple Custom Css plugins and put my code there

• Guillaume says:

Thanks!

• Guillaume says:

It does work for the site title but not for the site description …

Also “body”is highlighted red in the Custom CSS editor

.site-title, .site-title a {
        color: #333B97 !important;
        font-family: helvetica, cursive; !important;

color: #333B97;
        opacity: 0.8;
        font-family: cursive !important;

Any suggestion ?
        🙂

• HI Guillaume
        share me the site url where you are working on

2. johanna says:

hello,
    thank you so much, it is fantastic!!
    Do you know how to change the logo position? it will help me a lot 🙂
    Thanks and have a nice day
    Johanna

• Goodmorning Johanna
      please share me the site url you are working
      and in which position u want to put it?

• Johanna says:

Hi Om
        Thanks a lot, finally for the logo, I found a solution.
        But I have another question 🙂
        I add a css code to remove the title of the pages, it’s ok and works well but now I have a big white gap instead of the title, certainly dur to the padding or margin, can you tell me how to reduce it ?
        Do you have a tuto to make the menu one page responsive as on the twenty seventeen demo ?
        It would be nice
        Thanks again 🙂
        Johanna

• HI Johanna
        to reduce gap at the top of the page title …try this code
        .page #content {
        padding-top: 13px !important;
        let me konw if it works

• johanna says:

Hi Om
        It work for the page itself but not for the page on the scrolling homepage, and I would like to reduce the gap on the home page when I scroll with the mouse. I don’t know if you will understand well… 🙂

• HI Johanna
        can you share me screenshot which section of homepage ( to reduce gap) you are talking about please?

• Johanna says:

You can go on my website surlinstant.com
        And on the homepage, when you scroll with the mousr, you have a fisrt text block which begins with “Felicitations”. There is a big white gap before.
        If you continue scrolling, the second text block has also the white gap and so on.
        Do you see it?

• HI Johanna
        please try this code

.home .entry-header {
        margin: 0px !important;

.home .wrap {
        padding-top: 20px !important;

These codes are applicable for homepage
        please let me know if they works

• Johanna says:

Hi Om
        It works very well
        Thanks a lot
        Johanna

Liked by 1 person

• thats great Johanna 🙂

• Johanna says:

Hi Om
        As you know well the twenty seventeen theme, can I annoy you one more time?
        I uplaoded a video on the header, on mobile device (iphone), the video doesn’t appear, do you know why ?
        I uploaded mp4 video with 7mo weight but the theme is probably not video responsive, can you confirm ?
        Thanks a lot and happy new year 🙂
        Johanna

• HI Johanna
        Happy New Year to you too 🙂
        sorry for the late response..was busy whole day..

the video is not showing in your mobile…i guess the mobile browser you are using doesnt support tag you used to show the video…
        if u use youtube video..does it show?
        or
        better you use any other sort of plugins

• Johanna says:

Hi Om
        Thanks for your reply. Even when the video is on youtube, it is not responsive on mobile phone (iPhone), don’t worry, i will do without. I think it comes from the theme.
        Thanks a lot for all
        Johanna

• HI Johanna
        if you use youtube i can help to make it responsive i guess
        so..if u wise i can give a try

• johanna says:

thanks a lot for your help, I prefer to keep my videos on my server 🙂 No problem for the responsive video, I found another solution.
        Do you know if it is possible on the homepage, to have a background image on the first text “Felicitations” ?
        Many thanks again :-)) you are wonderful !

• Hi Johanna
        thanks..sorry for the late response (facing little family issue)
        yes there are other solution (using plugins…i cant suggest them properly to you as it will need to check dashboard)…
        and.. i found you are using an image for the text Felicitation….so u need background image where?
        can u share me any mockup screenshot about ur issue?

• Sanne says:

I have pretty much the same question. I want to place my logo in the upper left corner of my front page, because it would fit much better with the colours of the head photo. I managed to put it somehow more on the right side with the Advanced Twenty Seventeen plugin, but can’t find how to move it upwards. You can find my site at http://thedioramaproject.com/

Thanks!
        Sanne

• HI Sanne
        i need to check the dashboard for this
        would u mind to communicate with me here please

** i will reply you back asap when i will be online

3. Hi, Thank you very much for such a helpful post. I removed the header but I am having some trouble removing a white bar at the top of the page, maybe you could please guide me on which way to go to do this.

4. Alex K. says:

Thank you very much!
    Alex from Germany 😉

5. How to reduce space between primary content and rigth sidebar.
    Thanks

• HI
      thanks ..sorry for the late response (facing little family issue)
      so you want to increase width of your left side content section so that it almost touch the right sidebar?
      please let me konw

OM

6. pkdreaders says:

I would like to float the text on a page (not a post) to the left (under the title) instead of floating it to the right, as is the default. Do you have any ideas?

Cheers,
    Chris

7. Martijn says:

Hi Om !
    Hope I can ask a you question about the Twenty Seventeen theme. I’ve installed the wpforo (forum) plugin and I want to make the forum full width.. with that I mean I don’t want the column with the page title, but only the content (the forum) in full width. With your question 6 answer above I couldn’t make it work.. a couple of other things worked perfekt. Second question is the main content.. it’s wider now but the title column still to width… how do I reduce this without modifiying the content column either ? Hope you can help me !
    With kind regards, Martijn (the Netherlands)

8. Jiang Yayu says:

Hi, Thank you very much for such a helpful post.I increase the content section width with code #6.It works well on my PC,but not suit for my phone.What should I do if I don’t want the code works on my phone?Thanks for your reply!

9. mariocolina says:

Thanks for your help. After looking after a solution for the ‘Proudly Powered By WordPress’, I finally found your web, and after a couple of minutes I fixed it!
    You Rock!

Cheers

Mario

10. Ogzy says:

Hi Om!

Thanks a lot for your codes about Twenty Seventeen, it helps a lot. Can I ask one more question?

How can we remove the underline from the link? I try a lot of codes but none seems to work :/

Thanks for your help 🙂

Ogzy

11. This is all great, thanks so much for the info. I was wondering if I could get some help. I followed all the instructions on question 6, saved/updated it all, and it’s not changing the content or side bar widths. If you have any insight on how to trouble shoot it, I’d so appreciate it. Thank you!

12. Erika Gill says:

Thank you for this post! Having a list of all of the selectors really helped me, especially when figuring out how to remove the padding around the page content.

13. Juan says:

Hello Om, First, thank you for the helpful post, I used the footer code and it worked perfectly. I cant seem to get the code to remove the side bars to work, on a state front page. Is there any way you can help me please?

14. wolfe says:

I’ve been messing around with twenty seventeen trying to get the header image to fit 100% width at all times, (as in @media responsive/mobile view) and at a complete loss.

Any ideas?

ie: http://dev.wolfeblog.net

15. Kevin says:

Thanks so much, very helpful! I am looking to increase the width of the content on on all pages (not posts)… is their a way to do this? Also, I donloaded CSS plugin, – do we just put all these codes in that box … just making sure … it seems awfully easy, but I have never done it before – I am using 2017 and would like to make some of these changes above, thanks again so much!!!

• HI Kevin
      would u mind to share me the site url where you are working on please?

and
      yes..just put the css code in the box and it will work

and..
      you want to increase width 100% by removing the sidebar?

let me know

• Kevin says:

Great – thanks – just launched though it is not done, but wanted to check some stuff with it live … http://www.kevinmccarthyshows.com – I’d like the width to be 80 or 85% so there is some padding on each side… right now it’s way to thin.

Here’s a couple of issues now that I have it up… If I am asking too much, I apologize – whatever you can do to help is fine.

1. Width on each Page -I think 100% might be too much? whatever you think…
        2. I tried to change the text font to regular black, but it won’t let me for some reason – I have Advanced Twenty Seveeteen
        3. There is a ton of space between content and the Menu bar… I tried putting your code into CSS but didn’t work for me
        4. Can I change the fonts on the entire site to Arial? Can you explain how?
        Or is there one your suggest? I don’t like the current one… something like Arial would be great.
        5. Can I easily make one of the menu buttons a direct link to another page in my site? In the drop down in shows I have a couple that repeat.
        6. Footer – Looks like crap, I try to make changes but not sure how to change things up

I did this site on my own – it was the first time I ever did anything in WordPress… I got farther than I thought I would! Everything is backed up so that is all good..

I am so grateful for your help!

Thanks so much!

Kevin

• Kevin says:

ONe more thing, when updating the Simple CSS – if you have multiple codes, where do they go? all in between brackets? or doesn’t it matter…

Sorry again if I asked for too much… if it is too much, just let me know, If you can help, that’d be huge… don’t know where else to turn, got pretty far on my own, but now need help……thanks!

• Kevin says:

Here’s more info that might help – I cut and pasted this from an older website not done in wordpress, there was HTML attached to it and I wonder if that is effecting something… for example… I have the plug in “Advanced Twenty Seventeen” and yet if I go to Global Advance Typography… I changed the text color to solid black and the Link color to Red… but neither is working… something is preventing the color of text and the color of link from changing…. if I have too many questions, maybe you do a paid help session? just don’t to ask too much…

• Kevin says:

Ok, sorry again about all the posts and all info… I researched more and just figured out a few things! Thanks so much!

#1 – working on it right now

#2 is done – see code
        #3 is done – see code
        #4 is done – changed it to Open Sans
        #5 is done – I used a plugin
        #6 – found youtube video on how to do it

.site-header-main {
        padding-bottom: 0;

.site-content {
        padding-top: 0;

.entry-content p, .entry-content b, .entry-content strong {
        color: Black !important;
        font-size: 95% !important; (brought the font size down a bit which is what I wanted, too)

• Kevin
        thanks…sorry for the late response….actually it would better for me to share issue one after one …in case if you have too many issues please communicate me here

16. Joe says:

Hi Om, Maybe you can help me? On the twenty seventeen theme, I would like to make a change if possible to the top navigation menu. I would like to make the menu two lines instead of one line – where I can pick 3 or 4 links that I want on the first line, and then 3 or 4 other links on the second line. I know I can place many links on the menu and it will become two lines long (but it’s really one line long with overflow). Can I do this? For example: (first line of menu): Home, Page 1, Page 2, Page 3 —— (then second line of menu) Page4, Page 5, Page 6. I appreciate your time and look forward to your answer. Thank you so much. JS

17. Matze says:

i have a problem. I have adapted the solution of question 1 in the Style.css. However, I now have the problem that my header image is consumed. If I reset the changes to the original, but nothing happens and it remains so. Do you have a solution?

Liked by 2 people

18. Hi Om,
    Great post! super helpfull.
    My question is: how do I get rid of the word ‘POSTS’ above my frontpage post.
    My site only has one post and a sidebar. I don’t need to specify that posts are shown on the left side of my frontpage.
    Thanks
    Olaf

19. Kevin says:

Thanks in advance for your help! Trying to wrap text around slider with picture right justified…

Code is likely wrong, but I looked all day and couldn’t find anything online wrap text with Unite Gallery – if there a better gallery for this or …

Is Code Wrong

code

This program was developed by Kevin specifically for a school in the Clarence district using “RESPECT” as their main theme for the year and the show was a big success! The students learn important lessons on how to be respectful to everyone, not only teachers & parents, but fellow peers as well. Kevin shows students why [unitegallery Respectslider catid=1]
    it is important to be respectful and outlines the key ways of giving and showing respect. Kevin discusses how everything you will want in life requires getting along with other people. Learning how to give and show respect is one important key to life-long success. Kevin excites audiences with fun, familiar, and upbeat songs and actively engages the students for an enjoyable and memorable learning experience.

[/code]

20. Marco says:

Hi, thanks for your help! I need one more customization… I need my logo centered in the header and title below it centered, also in mobile mobile. Can you help me?

21. Marcel says:

Hey Om,

I want to remove the Page titel und follow your instructions from question 2, but nothing happens. At the moment i have two page titles, but would like to have only my own.
    Do you have a solution for me?

Best Regards
    Marcel

22. Marco says:

Second problem for me are two vertical black stripes for video on header from youtube…why?

Thanks!

23. smakasnack says:

Thanks for a lot of useful information, much appreciated.
    I’m almost done with my personalised twenty seventeen website theme – free version (working on it in desktop server mode before I publish it). But I have spent hours trying to figure out how I can have both the logo (to the left) and menu navigation (to the right) in the header? I have removed the site title and tagline and tried to add so many different CSS codes to my custom CSS plugin but nothing has worked unfortunately.
    Best regards,
    Cecilia

• HI Cecilia
      actually it would better if i could check your site Live…
      it will require theme file modifications to do so ( as i guess)

OM

• smakasnack says:

Hello OM,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I would like to avoid to set it live yet.

I can send you screengrabs if that would help?

Thanks, -Cecilia

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, All About Basic wrote:

> allaboutbasic commented: “HI Cecilia actually it would better if i could > check your site Live… it will require theme file modifications to do so ( > as i guess) OM” >

• HI Cecilia
        ok..
        share me the backup of ur wordpress ( zip it and give me with database)

• smakasnack says:

Hello Om,

Of course, not a problem. Please see attached zip file I just backed-up and downloaded.

I would like my header to be displayed as this website: http://liviaskitchen.co.uk/ (with logo, menu and social media on the header, same line but with the social media icons at the very end instead).

Also, with the featured image that I have with the page called The Smaka Story at the front page I would like to display it like http://liviaskitchen.co.uk/ (several of photos slides with arrows on the side for the guest to flick through, I don’t need to be able to add text on top of the photos), is this possible?

I just saw that my mobile version is showing this white border on the top and bottom of the menu, I have tried to remove it but haven’t succeeded.

Many thanks, Om. – Cecilia

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM, All About Basic wrote:

> allaboutbasic commented: “HI Cecilia ok.. share me the backup of ur > wordpress ( zip it and give me with database) Om” > Respond to this comment by replying above this line > > New comment on *All About Basic * > > > > *allaboutbasic* commented > > on Twenty Seventeen Theme: Modifications of header, footer, sidebar, > contents and documentations > . > > > in response to *smakasnack*: > > Hello OM, Thanks for your prompt reply. I would like to avoid to set it > live yet. I can send you screengrabs if that would help? Thanks, -Cecilia >

• Hi Cecilia
        seems u forgot to share me the zip…
        would u mind to upload the zip in dropbox and give me the link please?

24. smakasnack says:

Hi Om, Can’t find where my plugin theme-junkie-custom-css back-up the css changes I have added in a file so I have just pasted them in a doc and uploaded to dropbox:

Thanks Om,
    -Cecilia

• Hi Cecilia
      so u didnt modify theme file?
      it would better if you share me the theme u r using

• smakasnack says:

No, I haven’t modified the theme file only added the css codes using the TJ Custom CSS plugin and add it straight to the Appearance – Custom CSS and save. Is this incorrect? I’m using the twentyseventeen theme,

Thanks,
        – Cecilia

• HI Cecilia
        thanks..sorry for the late response
        i tried to import the database in my localhost wordpress setup and it is showing error?
        have u exported the database properly?

let me know

• smakasnack says:

Thanks for your email. Yeah I belive so, I’m accessing my wordpress via the desktop server and loggin in on wordpress.com and I don’t have any error message showing up. What would you suggest me to do or how can I find out if I have exported the database properly?
        Thanks,
        Best regards
        Cecilia

25. smakasnack says:

Hello again Om,

I have just added two files (gzipped and zipped) to dropbox that I exported from phpMyAdmin as I just realised that it was this file you meant? Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Cecilia

26. ozgurhazar says:

Hi , I couldnt remove the gap between header image and below place where writing guitarplayer , songwriter etc.. please see below link : http://www.ozgurhazar.com

please try this code

.header-image-slider {
      margin-bottom: 0px !important;

let me know if that helps

*** it will reduce gap between header image and your image (holding guiter)

27. Deb says:

First of all, Thanks a ton for all your useful tips.
    In my website, I want my content width to be full width. I DO NOT want sidebar or sidebar space either to the right or left. Is it possible? If possible please provide with a suitable CSS. The one mentioned in your tips didn’t work.
    Second, I have embedded some videos in my website. I want to decrease the height and width of the video window, so that in a row I can fit upto 3 columns of video. Please help.
    TIA

28. nickgritti says:

Hi I tried to insert your code but I continue having the same problem….the width of my homepage is limited….can you help me?

29. nickgritti says:

Yes I tried with Simple custom css too…but the width of the content remain the same

30. Aled says:

Hi Om, I’m trying to make a site with a fullscreen slider using the Master Slider plugin. Is there a way to get rid of the white space at the bottom of the page, so the slideshow will fill the screen?

This is the site:

Thanks

31. brianmursidi says:

Hi Om, need your assistance. I try to used your trick number 6, but it doesn’t work at all. what I do is just copyed your script. please help me.

32. deso16 says:

THANKS FOR the codes. i want to ask if i need to first create a child theme before making these modifications

33. Ramees says:

I want make the slider of twenty seventeen theme header image please help

34. chucky says:

Hello ! thank you so much for your article. Tho I have a little problems and I saw a person Jiang commented you about the width code column doesn’t work for phone, you suggested to her to put :
    “to solve the issue please wrap my code in the following way

@media only screen and (min-width: 980px) and (max-width: 20000px) {
    my code will be here

please let me know if you got it”

But I don’t get it, as I had your code in the “additional css” I dont know where to put what you suggest and which code. Sorry I’m bit lost for this.

35. topm4a says:

I want remove header image but i can’t.

Please help me!

36. topm4a says:

Thank Sir! i had remove “POST” and header image, but i only remove post date on homepage, don’t remove on post single. plz!

37. Garima says:

Solution mentioned by you for #6 is not working for me. I wish to reduce width of sidebar but it is not reducing. Please help. Thanks. My blog is http://www.asliveroflife.com

38. Hi – how does one resize the image (smaller) at the top of the menu pages excluding the homepage?

• Hi Karien
      would u mind to clarify me the issue some more please? sorry didn’t understand it…also which site u r working on?
      let me know

• Hi Om, thanks for the response. On the various menu pages i.e: about us, our services etc. my images are at the top + stretch across the screen. I want clients to see my copy immediately without having to scroll past the image first. How do you: 1. minimize the image PLUS 2. align images to the left side of the screen with the copy on the right?

Greatly appreciate your help.

• Hi karien
        as u contacted me in fiverr..i am replying you there

39. John M says:

Hi! Thank you for your very informative website.
    You really have helped us alot.

I just have another problem with my website:

From the link above, you can see that the Page Title is Separated to the Page Content.
    I want them to appear belonging to the same column.

Thanks a lot!

40. fernartcom says:

Hey!

Many thanks for sharing this.
    I searched the forums through wordpress and they didn’t solve my problem.
    One of your code edits helped a resizing issue that I had on a mobile screen.

Best Regards,